30 March 2017

Forcing Checkmate

My students this week solved exercises on two worksheets that I created. The first worksheet was presented to both beginning and advanced groups. The second worksheet was given only to the advanced group. The exercises on the two worksheets, except one, are part of a book that I created, Forcing Checkmate, now available in the Kindle Store.

Forcing Checkmate 1 consists of six positions, all with White to move. The first three are checkmate in one, but I let the students work for a few minutes before I revealed this information. Then two are checkmate in two moves, and the last is checkmate in three. Numbers 2 and 6 are from the same game.

1-1.

1-2.

1-3.

1-4.

1-5.

1-6.


Forcing Checkmate 2 consists of three positions. The first is not in my book, Forcing Checkmate. Although arrow drawn on the diagrams are acceptable for the first worksheet, this worksheet explicitly called for students to write the entire solution in chess notation.

2-1. Checkmate in two

2-2. Checkmate in four

2-3. Checkmate in five

The last one is from William Lewis, Elements of the Game of Chess (London, 1822).


No comments:

Post a Comment