09 August 2020

Knight vs Bishop

Jeremy Silman devotes the first chapter of How to Reassess Your Chess, 4th ed. (2010) to the imbalance of knight vs. bishop. Somewhere in the third edition, he suggests that a player ought to play in a manner that makes his or her minor piece the superior one.

White to move
This position arose this morning in the seventh round of the World Open, being played on the Internet Chess Club. I had White. Black's knights are menacing with the threat of Nxc3, followed by Nxe2+. 

16.Bxd5 

My move seemed forced. Now Black faces a choice of how to capture the bishop. I would submit that my opponent's move was not the best choice.

16...exd5

I went on to win a knight vs bishop endgame where all my pawns were on dark squares and my king decisively penetrated to the center of the board.

No comments:

Post a Comment