21 February 2022

A Memorable Lesson

What are the plans for both sides?

White to move

Whenever an occurrence of a bishop on the wrong color squares in a pawn ending occurs, I recall a game I played in 1996. It was the first round of my second USCF rated tournament and I nearly beat one of the strongest players in my local chess club.* In the end, I had four pawns to two and opposite colored bishops. I was looking at this game anew a few weeks ago because I wanted to use it in the first of a series of lessons for some of the chess classes I'm teaching this month. These classes are organized by other people who supply me with students. They create a different theme each month, but I am at liberty to develop the theme as I see fit.

The February theme mentioned pawn structure and "lesser pieces", which I opted to make bishop and knights. I began with some elementary positions, such as one finds in Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual (2003).

Black to move

During the first session, I invited students to think through the plans for White from positions that arose in my 1996 game with Gary Younker. I make the point that I pursued a faulty plan because whatever the state of my understanding of the elementary position above, I failed to understand it well enough to deter me from futile efforts to promote my a-pawn.

From the diagram at the top of the post play continued:

55.Kg3 Bc6

After explaining to one group what White's plans should have been and demonstrating what seemed a plausible win, I tried against Stockfish. Here the silicon beast demonstrated that Black's resources were adequate after 55...Kd7

56.Kf4 Kb7?

White to move
57.g3?

Today, I would play 57.Kg5 with nary a thought. But, in 1996 I was obsessed with promoting my a-pawn.

57...b4 58.Ke5 Kc7 59.Ke6

59.Kf6 seems better.

59...b3 60.h4 b2 61.Bxb2 d4?

Gary was pleased with this move. After the game, he taught me some important lessons, criticizing my early c4-c5 in the opening because it "released the tension" and explaining that he sacked this pawn to create the fortress that ensued.

White to move

62.Bxd4??

Remarkably, I still had a winning position until this error. About half of my students who have seen this position have suggested 62.exd4, which creates a more useful passed pawn.

62...Bxf3=

The game went on another 14 moves with an exchange of my e-pawn for Black's f-pawn and my futile and even silly efforts to trap Black's king on a8.

I finally replied to a draw offer from many moves earlier with assent after 76...Bg4.

White to move
The Game's Final Position



*Although I began playing chess with some seriousness in the 1970s, played some high school matches and at the Spokane Chess Club, and entered a couple of USCF correspondence events, I did not have a USCF OTB rating until I returned to active play in the mid-1990s following completion of graduate school.

No comments:

Post a Comment