02 June 2023

Knockout Blow

With five minutes remaining on the clock, my opponent used a minute to think and then sacrificed a knight to expose my king. This error handed me the win because my defensive resources were fully adequate.

White to move
The game concluded 23.Nxe6? fxe6 24.Bxg5 Kd7 25.Bxe7 Qxe7 26.Ng5 Kc7 27.Bg4 Bd7 and with eleven seconds remaining plus the five second delay, my opponent resigned. His attack is over in any case.

What was White's best move? What other move would have maintained a decisive advantage.

This position arose in round four of the Inland Empire Open, held in Spokane 20-21 May 2023. After this bit of luck, and some more help in round five, I won the event.

2 comments:

  1. Nxg5 and white is clearly better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Steve and I talked about that move after the game. Engines also find it best.

      Delete