13 April 2024

Blown Endings

A few years ago, I created a database of positions from my own games where I or my opponent, and sometimes both, had tossed away a win or draw in the endgame through some fundamental and instructive error. Many of these were from online blitz games played under time pressure. When a global pandemic gave me the gift of thousands of youth games with complete and accurate notation, I culled more instructive positions from games played in online youth events. Last week, I added more positions from some recent online play. I have been using these in lessons with students.

This is a sample.

White to move
From one of many online chess tournaments with the Spokane Chess Club in 2020. I was White against Kenny Erickson.

60.e4?? Rb4?? 61.Kf5 and I managed to draw after blowing the draw only to benefit from Kenny answering my error with one of his own. How would you have played the game?

Near the same time, in the World Open Blitz Championship, I threw away the game, but then drew when my opponent returned the favor.

Black to move
41...Kf8??+- 42.d7! Rf4+ 43.Ke3?? 43.Rd4= and we agreed to a draw after 12 more moves.

My opponent, FM David Sprenkle, pointed out a likely draw in the second game of the 2008 City Championship. I had Black.

Black to move
What would you play?

In the 2021 Washington State Elementary Chess Championship, third grade section, Black could have drawn this game with correct play.

Black to move
54...Kxb5?? gave White a winning advantage.

The next position is from the 2020 Washington State Elementary Chess Championship, fourth grade section. Black has a winning position, but misplayed it.

Black to move
What would you play?

I analyzed my error that led to this next position and how my opponent returned the favor in "The Difference of One Tempo".

Black to move
The next position is quite memorable, although I missed the win in an online blitz game on Internet Chess Club in 2003.

Black to move
What is the winning idea that I had not yet sufficiently absorbed from my studies?

This final position has vexed my students this week, as it vexed my opponent when it was played on Monday. Black is not winning, but won.

White to move
Can you discern what is important and hence the way White can draw?








No comments:

Post a Comment