05 July 2024

Smoke and Mirrors

In drawn endings, one could offer a draw. Or, as Levon Aronian showed me in 2013, playing 36 moves in a dead-drawn ending, one can offer your opponent opportunities to err. Such was my guidance in a rapid game this morning.

After 47 moves, I had a slight advantage, but missed my best chance.

White to move
48.Rh6! would have maintained an advantage. For instance, 48...Raxh7 49.Rb5+ Kc7 50.Rxh7+ Rxh7 51.Rxa5+ and the three to one majority with one rook each offers White good prospects of victory.

I played 48.c3 and my advantage slipped away.

Ten moves later, I was certain the game was headed for a draw.

White to move
I played 58.a5+. Later, after my 71.b6, we have reached a technical draw that one finds in all the endgame books.

Black to move
Black played the only move, which is not hard to find, 71...Rh8. I proceeded to shuffle my king about and we reached this position after 79.Ka6.

Black to move
Clocks were running and the game continued with a blunder on each side.

79...Rg6?? (79.Rg8 was required) 80.Rh7?? (instead of 80.Rf8#).

If my opponent erred once, he might do so again.

Black to move
After 90.Rd7
90...Kc8?! 

This move is fine, although it suggests that Black may be experiencing some confusion.

91.Rd4 Re6??

My chance!

White to move
92.Ka7!

There are other winning moves as well.

92...Re7+ 93.Ka8 Re8 94.b7+ Kc7+ 95.Ka7 and Black resigned.





No comments:

Post a Comment