12 April 2012

Mental Block: Failing Pawn Endgame

Despite the few pieces, and having played similar positions in a few online games, I failed this pawn diagram this morning. The diagram represents two positions: White to move, Black to move.


Stuck in a waiting room for nearly half an hour, I spent a major portion of that time looking at my flash card of this position from Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual. I determined that Black wins no matter who is on the move.

White to move draws.

Black to move wins, but not by the idea that I worked out.

After success with half a dozen flash cards, I failed the one that looked easier than the others. That's what I like about pawn endgames! Positions that seem simple often are not. Now, if only I could hone my skills and not fail five piece pawn endings.

No comments:

Post a Comment