29 November 2020

Endgame Study Database

Harold van der Heiden has released the sixth edition of his definitive Endgame Study Database. The first version was released in 1991 and contained 23,358 studies. Subsequent expanded editions were released in 2000, 2005, 2010, and 2015. Keeping with this schedule, he plans a seventh edition in 2025. The sixth contains 93,839 studies. Each edition adds to the size, while also correcting errors found in previous editions.

More information is available on his website.

When I initiated the purchase process this morning, he sent me a PayPal invoice. Shortly after I paid the invoice, I received an email with download instructions. I installed it in ChessBase.

Poking around among the pawn endings brought this position to my notice.

White to move

M. Zinar 2020

The solution runs 77 moves, but in fact everything is quite simple.

Perhaps after I have used this resource extensively, I can write a full review. For now, I can say that I've read about it for many years, and have been on the cusp of purchasing it more than once. This morning when I saw the new edition had been released, I acted within minutes. I'm happy that I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment