13 February 2023

One Page

While solving endgames exercises that were not challenging to me, I was pleased that those on a single page in Sergey Ivashchenko, The Manual of Chess Combinations (1997)* offered modest challenge and each position applied an idea distinct from the ideas in the other exercises. I say they were not challenging, but one of them required most of the five minutes I expended working through the set. I copied the page (178) and presented it as a puzzle contest for participants in the Groundhog Gambit youth chess tournament the next day. One brother sister team turned in a sheet with all answers correct and won a chess endgame book.

My after school chess club may see these on Tuesday.


White to move

White to move

White to move
Composed by Jenö Bán 

White to move

White to move
Composed by Hans Fahrni

White to move
Composed by Hans Fahrni

No comments:

Post a Comment